The Giant Smiles....

    ...Stepping onto my back porch I inspected the mammoth sunflowers that were growing there.  Having grown to a good 15 feet tall, I could barely see far enough up to the sunflower stalks to confirm three out of five had flower heads forming.  It is so exciting to see something planted from seed not only grow, but grow so big and wonderful.  Sunflowers really are an exciting summer miracle that makes it work the wait to see those happy faces beaming toward the sun.  They remind us that we should rejoice in life, lifting our hands and praising our creator.  Once the flower heads are done blooming I intend to tie them to the deck railing  to allow the local birds to nibble the seeds.  That is another fun project for youngsters to do as you create natural birdfeeders from the big sunflowers. How I wish I had planted more....
      Many years ago I can remember driving into the country and seeing entire fields of sunflowers.  It was a sight to behold.  You don't see that much anymore in this area.  If I had more land available I would grow lots of lavender and lots of sunflowers.  You just can't have enough of either crop.
     Another plant that is doing quite well for me is holy basil.  All the seed I planted managed to sprout.  That in itself is a miracle as I have never been all that good at starting plants from seed.  Now I am looking for old washtubs to transfer my plants as they are wanting to crawl out of their current containers.  Must be the influence of the sunflowers.  They must be telling the holy basil, "Grow big, be free!  If you don't have room in that container, come on over here by me and plant your roots."  I am just about to harvest some of the holy basil for a pot of fresh tea from those tender leaves. Drying some of it is in order as well.  This is what I had hoped for when I planted those seeds. 
       It looks as though I will have to go back to taking in my catnip plant at night.  Last night I heard a loud crash on my deck.  As I made my way to the deck I found the broken pot with my catnip lying on its side.  Feline prowlers had done their mischief.  I hate that I lost another precious pot, but I guess I inadvertently asked for it to happen.  The plant survived, so I scooped it up into another pot and brought it inside for the rest of the night.  The top of the refrigerator is the only place my indoor kitties can't reach, so that is the overnight resting place for the catnip. Since I am not fond of bringing plants indoors, I am already planning how to keep some of my potted herbs alive through the coming winter.  Creating a cold frame out of straw bales to sit on the back porch seems like a viable solution.  We shall see how that idea pans out.
       So here we are, close to the end of summer.  No fee fie foe fum , just a smiling happy face toward the sun humming "ohm".  Who doesn't love a smiling giant?...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...