Winds of Change...

   ...The hurricanes blew through both Texas and Florida leaving flood waters and the need to start again as cleaning up and starting over were the main activities in those and surrounding states. Those of us living in Ohio only suffered a small bit of rain and hot weather that we just are not used to experiencing. But fall and all the festivals has in spite of the unseasonal heat wave arrived. Cider is still being pressed, apple butter is cooking, and the hint of autumn is everywhere. The crunch of dried leaves on the ground is an early reminder that the trees are about to do their annual color display.  September is nearly finished and the hints of Halloween are creeping in.  Le Petit Jardin is still cranking out its herbal harvest.  I have managed a few herbal vinegars in this miserable heat. A friend's daughter-in-law allowed us to harvest her bounty of hydrangea blossoms. With enough flowers for at least three wreaths, I shall be making one of those wreaths for the generous daughter-in-law.  In the meantime I get to enjoy all the flowers that are hanging in bunches all around my apartment. Ah...herbs and flowers, how they make me happy! ...
     It is Halloween time and all around town there are soggy giant spider webs and wet deflated ghosts and witches. Everyone got their wishes about having an extended fall with the warm temperatures we have experienced.  But now it is cold and wet as the weatherman warned. Finding places for the potted herbs I want to bring indoors for the cold weather seasons is my main goal. That is a real challenge that requires me to totally re-think my kitchen arrangement. Somehow I need to work in the placement of a humidifier this year if I want to hang onto all those plants in this all too arid apartment. Keeping several kitties out of those plants is always a challenge as well. They seem to "love" the herbs as much as I do.  
      As I hang all the harvested herbs for drying I managed to whip together a piece of photo art to enter into a local art show at the last minute. Due to the Ohio summer heat I did not accomplish much art this year. As usual now that it is much cooler I am coming alive again to create something artistic finally. Even with the rain I am stirred by the intense color that our Ohio fall has afforded us. And so, art awaits.  Le Petit Jardin is being put to bed for the soon coming winter months.  Ohio is finally getting the rain it needed and all the lawns are green again. Yes, the mowing will need done for one or maybe two more times. But that will cease soon enough. Everything is winding down. The holidays are just around the corner and with them comes the busy pursuits of the days ahead.  So for now I will give pause as I sip a bit of cider and enjoy a quiet moment of reflection before working on my Christmas creations for that gifting season.  And, too, art will happen...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies