Lavender Joy...

      ...Howling winds, torrential rain, rolling thunder and lightning furiously slammed through the Magic City.  But finally it was cooler.  My morning began with inspecting my yard to see if I had "lost" anything to the wild winds of the storm. Fortunately everything was where I had left it the day before. Though it was a bit breezy, the day was deliciously cool and partially sunny.  Perfect gardener's weather... Immediately I wrestled out my packet of mammoth sunflower seeds and poked five seeds into the moist soil.  My next fun task was that of harvesting the new crop of lavender stems I had been carefully watching.  Le Petit Jardin was already yielding its green stems.  The fragrance of freshly cut lavender put me in my happy place once again, reminding me that it isn't about the size of the garden.  It is all about the amount of joy one derives from the sensory experience of nurturing plants, harvesting the bounty, and enjoying using the final product of one's labors. Everything in the garden benefitted from the copious rains of the evening storm.  All my thyme plants are huge and blooming.  Looking at everything else in Le Petit Jardin. I realize that I need more potting soil and larger pots.  There is nothing like good old rain water to make everything grow by leaps and bounds!  

BUNNY THYME

      Hearing the mourning doves softly cooing their gentle song, I went to my happy place in Le Petit Jardin to cut more precious bundles of lavender.  The first cutting had yielded two two wonderful batches of lavender to hang and dry.  This morning's treasure gave me the yield.  I can tell there will be one more medium-sized handful of lavender stems from this first batch of the season.  There will be much crafting from all this lavender.  I can already imagine lavender vinegars for starters.  Last year's dried buds will be used to create sachets and dream pillows.  Faithful plant that it is, all this yield of lavender has come from a single plant that has survived and flourished for several years in Le Petit Jardin.  Again I will attempt to plant new lavender plants in that same location with the hope that they will thrive and flourish more than one season.  Jellies and wreaths are part of the herbal crafting plans I have for my lavender. Perhaps a small raised bed will do the trick.  I'm sure better soil couldn't hurt.   

HERB VINEGARS

        And then thyme...  It has been blooming all over the garden which is a sure sign of summer. Tiny red blossoms are popping out in the creeping carpet of thyme I planted in a concrete bunny who stands guard in Le Petit Jardin.  Located next to the lavender is the English thyme that is bursting with its pale lavender flowers.  There will be vinegars and salads from that pleasant harvest.  I can hardly keep up with the insane amount of lemon balm needing harvested.  There will be lots of tea from that this summer.   

THYME BLOSSOMS

       It has been slow going to get Le Petit Jardin shaped up after the winter time.  But now that I know what plants survived it is full steam ahead on gardening mode.  But one must have one's priorities set.  I think it is time for tea and a cookie... Let the tea brewing commence!...

LAVENDER MEMORIES

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...