Year of the Rabbit...

     ...Though the day began a bit gray, eventually blue skies and glorious sunshine became the most appreciated gift of the day as it beamed in through my windows.  I knew the temperature was mild when I saw the mail carrier making his rounds not wearing a coat or hat.  Another spring teaser was blowing through the area as the winds kicked up, stirring the naked tree branches of January in Barberton.  So far, everyone has been grateful not to have to shovel snow.  Murmurings of having to mow grass soon if it gets any warmer were sneaking into conversations everywhere.  This just isn't Ohio in January.  With so much sunshine flooding into my apartment, all I can think of is gardening.  The projects bouncing around in my brain have been keeping me up nights.  I so want to start getting e Petit Jardin up and ready for spring planting!  Realistically, I know it is just too early for plants.  But I can get my containers ready, and perhaps some new plant markers would be doable.  Deciding what to plant this year has kept mind busy.  There definitely must be more lavender.  I really missed not having chives and marjoram.  I promised myself that a lack of rosemary will not happen again.  It would be so nice to have some flowers in with the herbs I choose for Le Petit Jardin.  Purple coneflower, a.k.a. echinacea, and purple hyssop should be in the garden again this year.  So far, I have a solitary lemon verbena plant in my apartment.  Whether or not this one survives, I still plan on having more lemon verbena plants in Le Petit Jardin.  Of course, there will be several basils in the garden.  I really missed not having any Holy Basil last summer for tea. It couldn't hurt to grow a bit of catnip, both for tea and some for the kitties who live with me.  Over this winter I have been using more sage in my cooking.  New sage plantings will be part of this year's gardening plans.  Already I am working on new strategies for growing sunflowers while protecting them from marauding groundhogs.  Dare I consider roses in my container garden?...

CARDINAL IN WINTER
SNOW AFTER EARLY SUNSHINE


    In the roller coaster ride of weather here in Ohio, it has been snowing all the next day, rousing me from my springtime gardening thoughts.  At the moment, it has been snowing since mid-morning, and already we have nearly three inches of snow.  I had hoped to go out for some Chinese food since it is the beginning of Chinese New Year, but that tasty thought will have to be put on hold.  The streets in Barberton have not been salted yet, and the roads won't be plowed until after midnight.  It is the year of the rabbit, but I'm pretty sure that the rabbits are hunkered down somewhere for the time being until the snow stops.  I have to admit I love seeing it snow.  At the moment, it is clean and beautiful.  Snow-covered trees are a delight to behold as the snow continues stacking up.  Amazingly enough, the Amazon driver dropped off two packages of things I had ordered.  I had to chuckle when the calendar I ordered was in one of packages.  The spring images helped to keep my garden projects moving along in my mind.  This is not a good time to not have any cookies in the cupboard.  A bit of tea and a few tea sandwiches should make things pleasant, though. So, I say, "Welcome snow!  What took you so long?  It is January is Ohio, after all..."  And now for tea and sandwiches...

LES TROIS ROSES


PURPLE CONEFLOWER


BOWL OF HARVESTED MINT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...