Celebrating September...

    Dried leaves made a rustling sound as the light breeze swirled them across the black-topped parking lot.  That was a week ago when I noticed that the leaves were beginning to fall from the trees at my workplace.  That was August.  Now it's officially September.  Where did the summer go?  My gardening efforts were minimal due to the torrential rains in the spring, then the horrific heat and humidity that followed once the rains stopped during all of July.  By August I had to start over again with my herbs.  Now, not only are my replacement basils growing like crazy, but the spindly ones that survived the rains are coming back as well!  Go figure!  Now my gardening efforts are mainly that of getting the beds ready for this winter and prepping them next year.  It has been like fall here in Ohio with warm sunny days and chilly nights.  Everyone seems to perk up now that the blistering heat and humidity have settled down.  There have even been a few nights that I was able to snuggle down in a quilt for the night.  Good sleeping weather! 
    Due to the terrific heat and humidity all summer I had not walked any of the park trails as is my usual habit.  Finally I was able to make my way to Ira Trailhead to check out the beaver dams and the other critters who live around the area.  It has been several years since I had last photographed any water lilies and I was delighted to see they were blooming at the trailhead dam site.  And, yes, I did have the foresight to take along my camera.  But as usual, the rechargeable batteries were warning me that they were about to die.  It's always something!  I did manage to get several great images of the water lilies without the camera completely dying on me.  Yea!  An enjoyable outing once again at Ira Trailhead. 
     This is the time of year when my city is getting ready for its annual Cider Festival.  For over 20 years the festival had been on my street, and frankly, in my yard as well.  Now it is relocated to the city's park area.  Everyone on my street always made sure they had their yards in top shape for the festival.  It was like getting ready for company coming to visit.  Even though the festival will be elsewhere and the crowds won't be walking all over the place here anymore, I still feel the need to whip my property in shape.  It has been such a terrible summer that it is only now that I can even work on things here.  But I am determined to make the place ready for "company coming" in spite of that.  There are lots of tree branches to clean up.  Norton is kind of known for having lots of bonfires at this time of year.  We burn off all that old wood and roast a few weiners and marshmallows in the process.  Everyone drags along a chair and sits by the fires discussing local politics and a bit of gossip.  Of course there are tall tales told as well.  It is the one time of year when neighbors get together.  Good times for sure. 
    The smell of the bonfires makes me remember the fall picnics that my grandfather held.  We had roasted corn and steamed clams as part of the good food offered.  All the women in the family lined up behind Grandma with their food specialties to contribute to the gathering.  Brick layer that he was, Grandpa had created something called a Texas Kitchen in his far backyard area.  It was a kind of open trough about eight  feet long that held hot coals for grilling and other kinds of cooking.  I can remember the adults loading up the tall steamer with clams and hoisting it up onto the trough of hot coals.  A huge tub of water held unshucked corn that was then placed ear by ear onto the length of hot coals.  Chicken and other meats were held on spits and captured in wire mesh holders that were layed across the trough to cook along with everything else.  Everyone brought something to contribute to the picnic.  I can remember having lots of cider and homemade grape juice.  There were lots of homegrown vegetable dishes and lots of pies and cakes.  The celebration went on into the night.  I can still remember the lights that Grandpa had strung all around the yard and into the trees.  There were a few torches, but mostly the lighting was electric.  Everyone was the mode of entertainment for the party.  There were ghost stories told by the adults and stories told of how times were when they were young.  Some of the guests recited poems they had memorized from their school days.  Others sang for everyone.  A few played instruments for a bit of music to brighten the time while we waited for the foods to be ready.  And of course everyone had to help crank the old-fashioned ice cream maker. 
     Ah, fall! September is my month.  I have the same birthday as Johnny Appleseed.  I guess my destiny is connected with apples.  Not bad at all.  So, let's celebrate September with thoughts for the living and a bit of remembrance for those who's celebration was cut short on 9/11.  We will live on for them and with gusto.  Never allow the enemy to steal our zest for life in America.  To life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...