Mercury Rising...

    ...So, the sun is shining today in Ohio.  My mood is a bit brighter, too, for it.  Lately I have felt like I am free-falling through the season.  Yes, I can hear Christmas music everywhere, but so far there is no snow.  There is something about snow that jump starts the holiday season in Ohio.  I've been having trouble getting in sync with the rapidly approaching day of celebration and gift giving.  Personally, I feel like I'm running two months behind.  One thing that helped me get more into the holiday mood was a "fun and discovery" day I shared with a friend.  We travelled to local small shops just to see what treasures of the season we could find.  I grow weary of seeing the same old stuff in some of the retail chain stores.  Small boutiques and galleries usually offer a bit more uniqueness to potential gifting.  We were not disappointed.  Lately I have begun to collect mercury glass objects.  One recent find was a lamp which I snatched up with great glee.  On our shopping trip of discovery I managed to glean a glimmering ornament for this year's Christmas tree. Mercury glass has the unique quality of achieving a shabby chic decorating appearance while managing a bit of sophisticated glitz at the same time.  I really love the decorating trend of Parisian influence everywhere.  The mercury glass works into that style of decorating wonderfully.  Now I really want to paint my living room before Christmas (my present to me).  I want everything all white and silver, frosty and glittery for my holiday decorations.  Last night I got out my mercury glass candlesticks and burned some balsam fir scented tea lights in them.  Definitely starting to look and smell like Christmas.  Yes, I'm working my way there.  The holiday can begin...slowly.  And today I will look for another treasure of mercury glass something wonderful.  Let the season begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...