Urban Art


     For everyone who could not make it to this year's Artists of the Rubber City Annual juried show, here is the piece I have in the show this year.  It is entitled, "Urban Window Dressing".  It has been a long time since showing any of my photo work, but it looks as though this will be a year of completion for much of my work.  With my job situation changing, I have had time to clear away the creative cobwebs in my brain, allowing me to actually create art, again.  Just finishing a piece is a major accomplishment for me.  But I seem to be on a roll, lately.  I have been working on two proposals for Summit ArtSpace for consideration in next year's exhibition slots.  You can't get in if you don't submit something.  I have been climbing out of a dark hole in my creative life, and it feels good to finally see the light of day.  I didn't win any prizes or get any big deal recognition other than acknowledgement from my fellow artists and a nod or two from the public.  But that is all I really wanted.  Completing a work is huge for me.  I am truly amazed at the artists who seem to crank out enough finished work to actually do shows all summer long.  Many years ago, I struggled to produce enough work to manage the open air art shows.  I did manage several show over as many years, but I never made the money that would support my art.  Other artists boasted of thousands of dollars per show that made their living for the year.  I don't think I quite believe everyone.  There were some who actually made that money, but I think some were fibbing just to keep everyone from knowing that art wasn't making a living for them.  One of the brutal realities of life for me has been the realization that if you are going to be an artist, you have to have something to actually support you while you create your art.  I should have been a teacher.  But, no, I had to be a photographer.  Frankly, I just don't have the drive some of my fellow photographers and artists have for the work.  I'd actually like to retire, but there's no money in that, either.  So, I have come to understand my personal art experiences as just that.  The urge to create is what it is all about for me.  I'm not trying to make money at it, I just want to make something wonderful.  The processes bore me, and I hate discussing the fussy technical stuff with other photogs.  I just want to make interesting images for viewers to enjoy.  Simple.  No deep meanings or psycho-baloney, just fun pictures to look at.  My apologies to those who wanted more of me.  Though I write I know there will be no great American novel in the works, and I doubt very much that I will give Elliot Porter or Ansel Adams a run for their money with my photography.  I just do what I do, and I'm thrilled if anyone else likes it.  So here it is, Urban Window Dressing, such as it is.  I liked the colors and the textures of the window and wall.  Red, white, and blue.  American neglect, at it's most interesting as it decays.  Is that a social statement?  I don't know...I'll get back to you on that one. 

Comments

  1. Wendy! So different than what I am used to seeing from your clever eye! Truly do think it is a wonderful composition! Love the colors too!

    Know what you mean about we do what we do, I have let several deadlines come and go. Just deciding to stay home and roost this year! The road just did not pay off as I had hoped. Glad I did it but those of us who are makers and creators cannot be stopped :)

    The new additions to your family look like they are fit and fine! Glad to see you are starving them ;). Very handsome, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...