The Duty

     ...We always called it "the duty".  Every Memorial Day my grandmother and mother took me along with them as they did the spring clean-up of the various family cemetery spots. They called it "dressing the graves".  I was the next generation being taught to respectfully care for the family grave markers.  Grandma always brought flowers from her garden and packed a basket with clippers, a scrub brush, copper cleaner and a jug of water.  I learned by quietly watching what would one day be expected of me  Over the years I went faithfully to the cemetery to perform the duty.  Though I offered to take my cousins with me, they all declined the invitation.  They never knew where any of the family were buried.  That willful ignorance never made any sense to me.  The duty was never a sad task.  I always looked forward to the visit to the cemetery. 
       It had been such a harsh winter in Ohio.  Sunshine and pleasant breezes made the duty even easier to accomplish.  At the prodding of a friend, I gathered up all the necessary tools and flowers to do the spring clean-up f my father's grave site.  Even though he was a WWII Navy veteran it seemed that there was never a flag put on his grave on Memorial Day. Once again his marker had been missed to receive a flag.  I gathered flowers from my garden and the necessary tools for the clean-up and went to my father's grave site to place my own flag to honor his memory and his service to his country.  He was proud of his military service to this country.  Posting a flag at his grave was the least I could do.  I remembered and cared even if no one else did.  With that thought, it occurred to me that anyone who has ever prayed for this country and her service men and women also serve this country. Diligent soldiers of the faith praying a vigil for this country also serve and most likely will never receive recognition in this life. But God is watching.  It is He who will honor the faithful as they stand before Him in glory.  I have always had a special place in my heart for the United States.  I have always prayed for this country, and I still do so.  Looking around the cemetery I noticed that there were no young people.  It would seem that we have forgotten to train up a generation to be the caretakers of the duty.  Is it any wonder there is little respect shown by the younger generations?  To disrespect the dead is to disrespect the living as well.  Before it is too late, each of us should teach a young family member to perform "the duty".  That lesson of respect will travel far, from generation to generation.
         To the veterans of our military, both alive and dead, thank you.   Thank you for risking it all to keep this country a place I am proud and free to live in.  The flags are flying for you, and if we missed one of you, I for one apologize.  Let all Americans never forget, not just 9/11, but all the battles that were fought for this country.  Never forget, with respect, pray for the United States.




Comments

  1. living across the street from a cemetery I am always so happy to see the cub scouts every year for the past 30 placing flags on all the veterans grave sites. They pay for the flags too. The honor guard this year was a mix of old and young. The 21 gun salute was also a mix of young and old and finally a woman! Thank you all who served and kept this place we call home safe........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments on this most personal subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies