Blustery Transition and the Quest for Herbs...

...April has finally come to Ohio.  The mountains of ice and snow have finally melted away leaving us with the roller coaster ride of temperatures ranging from the cold 30's to the balmy mid-60's.  And then there is the rain.  All the glorious potholes bequeathed to us from the icy grip of Old Man Winter have now become rain-filled coy ponds.  Or maybe even better, we could all begin stocking the with bass.  It would be easy pickings for a Memorial Day fish fry at the end of May. The winds have been quite blustery and more worthy of March, but the April rains have begun to green up the landscape already.
     By the end of the winter I managed to only hold onto my only rosemary plant.  My apartment was too dry as I had expected.  I did not have the right conditions to be able to hang onto all the plants I brought in for winter protection.  As with all gardens, there comes a time to begin again.  That will be the big effort this year.  Even my last two lemon verbena plants gave up the ghost. There will be new ones in the container gardens I am creating this year. I will have all summer to think about how to successfully bring in the tender herbs when fall forces the issue of whether to save any of the plants or decide to start again in the spring.                                                                                                      
       My first herb plants of the year are two new lavenders.  A friend of mine knew how much I was anticipating little green things growing in glorious pots of fresh new soil, so she bought me two lavenders. I can hardly wait for the basils and thymes to be available.  Dreams of scrambled eggs with fresh chives are beginning to tantalize me.  Marjoram is my favorite herbs to use in my cooking. I must have bee balm and lemon balm...wait, I am getting gardener's rush.  I now realize I have been going through winter withdrawal at having no fresh pot of herbs to use for cooking.  Just how am I supposed to live to 120 if I don't have any lemon balm for tea!!?  Really!!!  Do you think I could convince the Easter bunny to leave a nice basket of herbs instead of eggs and jelly beans?  I can see him  now, hippity slop, hippity slop...opps, watch out for the bass in the potholes, E.B.!        
    ...And that is how the transition from miserable March will go into "the great greening of "April.  From ice to herbs, I say bring it on!... 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies