Snow Globe...

         ...The temperature was finally dropping enough for the conditions to turn snowy.  Heavy dark clouds crept across the dreary gray skies.  "Got to be loaded with snow," I thought as I eyed the clouds.  Everyone had been expressing relief at not having brutal cold and copious snow like the previous year.  Those same people complained that there was no snow for Christmas. I repeatedly told those same folks that January was coming and with it would come the snow.  I for one still get a thrill with every flake that dares to drop here in Ohio.  It is the first week in January and I am watching our first real snowfall of the season.  It was as though someone had shaken that great snow globe in the sky causing flurries so heavy that I could hardly see across the street.  Yeah!  Now that's what I'm talking about!
         The holidays came and went with little impact this year.  I am convinced that was largely due to the lack of the friendly flakes. If anyone has suddenly gotten the urge to finally celebrate Christmas now that there is snow, I will let you know that Orthodox Christmas observance is January 7th.  The snow arrived in time for that date.  I am reminded of my mother and her struggle to get holiday preparations accomplished by December 25th.  Frequently she would remark that she could be ready by Orthodox Christmas, and would we all like to celebrate then... I will point out that we were not Catholic, much less Orthodox. Okay, Mom, snatchin' at straws here. There is always too much stuff to do to be ready one time.  I get it.  After many years of working retail at Christmas time, I found that I was able to finally relax and be ready to celebrate Christmas after December 25th.  What do you mean everyone else is done celebrating?  It's all so unfair!
          It would seem that the only constant here is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, and snow in Ohio.  Snow is seasonal, but Jesus Is ever with us.  It is in that I take comfort.  And that brings us to the real reason for the celebration no matter what date you choose to observe. snow just helps us Ohioans to put our traditions in order.  Snow, Christmas, holiday lighting displays, and twinkling shop window displays are all part of the natural order of things in this small town of Barberton.  Even New Year's was a bit off with no snow.  but we are a few days into the new year and it is snowing. All is right with the world and the natural order of things has been restored... 
             Here's hoping you had a most blessed Christmas and that the new year will bring health and prosperity to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...