The Groundhog Wore Green...

 
Herb vinegar steeping in sunlight.





     ...Sunny days, blue skies, am I actually talking about February in Ohio?  It's hard to believe that it is supposedly the coldest month of the year and yet the temperatures have been as high as 65 degrees.  Today's high is supposed to be in the 40's.  Cold to some, paradise for us buckeyes.  Next week we should see some of that cold weather return briefly, but hey, it is still February.  If this temperature rollercoaster ride seems kind of schizophrenic , what do you expect when Punxatawny Phil doesn't see his shadow and Buckeye Chuck does see his shadow?  It's that time of year, though, when I start dreaming of little green herbs in pots.  Since we didn't really have any snow to play in this winter, I say bring on spring!  Every gardener has already been pouring over seed catalogues and planning this year's gardening adventures. I am probably already running behind at starting seedling of any kind, but what the heck, better late than never!
      As I begin this year's gardening plans I am studying up on what to do with the Herb of the Year, mountain mint.  So far I find that mountain mint is both edible and medicinal.  Its flavor is a hot spicy mint-like taste that is good for cooking with meats.  A medicinal tea may be made from either fresh or dried leaves.  It is good for treating mouth sores and gum disease, colic, coughs, colds, chills and fevers, and menstrual disorders.  Crushed flowers placed on a tooth ache will help to kill pain.  Mountain mint may be used in potpourri and burned as incense.  Placing muslin bags of dried mountain mint in drawers and closets will not only keep things fresh, but it will also deter moths. Laundry will be freshened when a bag of the dried herb is tossed into the dryer.  This herb can grow as tall as 5 feet, so I would recommend it is grown toward the back rows of your garden or in the center, so that shorter plants may be seen in your display. 
     This should prove interesting as I cultivate mountain mint into my garden.  I plan on using some of it in the dream pillows I will be making over the summer.  When mint is added to blends used in dream pillow, the quality of the dream sharpens and becomes more colorful.  My dreams are already pretty vivid and colorful, so I can hardly imagine how much more colorful they could get. 
       And so, as I shove the schizophrenic groundhog weather predictions aside, sunlight and absence of snow nudge me along to think about plants in creative container displays.  Already I have changed my interior winter decorations to flowering spring displays.  I managed to put all the icy winter decorations away, but forgot to pack away one of my wreaths.  Its crystals and sparkly snowflakes are frankly starting to irritate me.  That gets snatched off the wall today and put away until next winter!  On with the spring flower procession, soon to be followed by the real thing..so far my rosemary has lived through the winter indoors.  Once we are passed this month of February, we are home free.  After that, it won't be long and I can put it outside once again.  I am looking forward to the trees sprouting leaves once again.  Right now I can see the shadow of Kopeli dancing and playing his flute created by a naked tree from across the street.  No doubt he is celebrating the sunshine and mild temperatures of our Ohio winter.  Since I never did hit hibernation mode this winter,  let's get on with green mode.  You know my motto..."I'd rather be gardening!"...
Spring decorations in the garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies