October Sanctuary...

    ...It is October.  With having a drought summer in Ohio, one have expected the trees to have changed color by now, but that is not the case so far.  Gratefully,     the temperatures are cooling down.  We have had sunny days of low 70's and chilly nights of 50's and 60's. Sweater weather, I love it! Finally, I can go walking.  The blistering heat of this year's summer robbed me of that joy.  Thank you, Fall, for returning some sanity to the natural scheme of things...
       Cider has been wonderful this October.  That probably the only benefit of the drought. The apples have been much more intense in their flavor.  I love cider, hot or cold.  With flu season beginning already for some, it is a good thing to know that mulled cider helps to heal up the body from the nasty crud.  In case you don't know the recipe for mulling cider, here it is:

               Mulling spices:  one 6-inch stick cinnamon, coarsely ground        
                                          4 tsp. whole cloves                                               
                                          4tsp. allspice                                                         
                                          2 tbls. shelled cardamom seeds, slightly crushed 
                                          2 cups cider                                                           
                                                                                                                        
         Pack spices in a cloth teabag,  or make 2 bags from layers of cheesecloth and tie snuggly with string.  You can also use a stainless steel mesh tea ball.  Store the mulling spices in an airtight container until ready to use.  Add the spice bags to hot cider, wines, coffee, apple juice, or tea.  Bring the cider to almost boiling, then allow the spices to simmer in the hot liquid for 15 minutes before removing them to serve your mulled hot beverage.
There are a lot of variations of the recipe out there on the internet.  Some of those recipes add brown sugar to their mix.  That's a little sweet for my taste, but feel free to try it.  You never know, it might just become your favorite fall treat...
                                                                                                                                                                 
       As I suspected, the leaves have begun turning color, seemingly overnight.It's happening.  This morning I spotted a whole street that has turned golden from my last drive on that street only two days ago. The days are getting shorter, and with less daylight the trees begin their Mardi Gras of color.   It has rained all day today.  That's okay, if it's not a cold rain.  Still, a hot cup of cider would go a long way right about now...
                                                                                                                                                               
      One of the best compliments to me was when a friend commented about my garden and how it felt as though she was talking a walk in the woods.  What was so special about that comment was that the garden area she was talking about was located about 20 feet from the busy street in front of my home. Creating a peaceful sanctuary had been my goal when I created that garden area.   Having moved on from that house to an apartment, my passion for gardening and creating restful retreat from the world was still working in my life.  Over this simmering summer a friend commented on my  teeny garden and about how much she enjoyed seeing and smelling it,  Tiny as it is, Le Petit Jardin has managed to create a little retreat from the world.  It gives me joy in my soul and my friend felt that same joy.  The amount of space for the garden is a slender triangular strip, about 14 feet by three feet.  Some of the herbs were in pots, some were in ground.  Sculpting with stones, rocks, stacked tall pots and decorating with dishes filled with plants, small cement critters, and iron-cast lanterns,  I made the most of my short walkway.  During the summer months tall sunflowers helped to elevate the scope of the tiny garden area.  It has truly been a lesson in how less is more.  Even after harvesting the sunflowers, a last stalk has some small flowers left, buds I never expected to open. I am still harvesting to the last, until the real freezes halt the garden's production of joy.  Then it is to bed for the winter for Le Petit Jardin with plans for next year's design.  As for now, I hope we enjoy a nice, long autumn.  I am creating teas and dried wreaths from my harvested herbs that will be treats during the coming cold months.  Sanctuary and rest for the soul.  I hope you are immersing yourself in the fall season as you sip hot mulled cider in your garden...

a final sunflower

Solo color capture


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

New Year Tea and Cookies

POM POMS IN SPRING