Grasshopper and the Secret of Dirt...

...Half way through February and it finally snowed.  We have not had much snow in Ohio this year.  There is something not quite right with mid-winter Ohio being devoid of snow.  That being said, today was a good day.  It snowed. I found myself able to write, to plan for spring gardens, to take photos...as I said, all is right with the world...
       How many of you harvested your  sunflowers  and dried the petals and seed heads for creating  sunflower potpourri? Already I am realizing that I should plant way more sunflowers this spring. Recently I stumbled across a bit of information about the Great Sunflower Project (www.greatsunflower.org) that is a worldwide effort to help the bee populations of the world to survive. We need to help them be providing food supply for them by growing sunflowers as well as other nectar producing flowers and herbs in our gardens. Even bumble bees are struggling to survive. The hybridizing of many flowers has actually decreased viable food sources for pollinators.  Planting heirloom seeds and perpetuating those varieties of plants will  greatly  aid the cause of food sources for bees and btterflies. All living creatures on planet earth need water to survive. Try placing a shallow dish of water in your garden areas for the pollinators. Be sure to put flat stones in the dish so that they may have a resting spot while sipping water. Remember to put fresh water in the dish daily. I always maintain these tiny reflecting pools of small dishes among my herbs plantings to not only provide water for the pollinators, but to bring a little bit of Zen into my gardens.  Who knows, you, too may have a friendly moment of contemplation shared with a dragonfly or butterfly over a tiny dish of water in your garden...
     Currently I am gathering every sort of container I can for this year's plantings.  As I made out my list of herbs with a few flowers, I realized that I am going to need a lot more containers. Lately I have been lusting after the loads of pallets on trucks I have watched driving down the roads. I have ideas for vertical gardening that I have never done before. When I found S-hooks at 10 for a $1, I snatched up a bunch with the thought of a bazillion projects. It would be nice to  try my hand at creating a succulent wreath  or a vertical plant panel this year. Yes, you can always go up!  I may not have a lot of square feet to create gardens, but that doesn't mean I can't  expand the  garden vertically.   2017 Will have a lot of new projects I hope to create this spring. I miss my herb tea creations. This winter left me a bit lean on dried herbs to  put to that cause. My vow is to not let go that happen again. I also miss not being able to create wreaths from my everlasting plantings, so this year will include more Sweet Annie and some Artemesia for those projects. More mint, much more lavender, and the list goes on and on...
      As I gather all the paraphernalia needed for spring gardening I am reminded about the humorous story of a friend who was driving passed a business  that creates and markets a famous brand of soil. She commented to her husband , "Oh, so that's where they make dirt." He laughed hysterically and would not let up on how silly her comment sounded to him. She was embarrassed and felt like a dummy for having said it to him. "So, how is dirt made, anyway? "she asked me.   Her question was that of a little child innocently asking  a very real question about life.  I explained how soil is created in nature and how important earth worms are in the whole process.  The company "making dirt" was only adding fertilizing chemistry to their potting soil compound. The earth worms in her garden areas are gargantuan enough to be featured in a Japanese science fiction film. The look on her face was priceless. "And now, Grasshopper,  you know the secret of dirt," I told her.  Ever since that day, whenever my friend feels dumb about something,  I remind her, "Ah, yes, but you, Grasshopper, know how dirt is made!"...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies