Fields of Blue...

...Fields of blue flowers covered the devil strips as I drove along local roadways.  July seems to be the month for chicory to grow everywhere with wild abandon. Amazingly I have no chicory growing in Le Petit Jardin, which I shall have to change. Most people have no idea that chicory is an herb that can be used in many ways.  Roots of chicory were once used as a coffee substitute and the blossoms can also be eaten in salads.  I just like the blue flowers.  And then there are are plenty of Bachelor Buttons flowering in local gardens. They are another blue flower of which I am greatly fond.  They aren't an herb, but I just like their blue flowers
     While driving to the Boston Mills Artfest I saw a huge hogweed plant growing along the road.  I have always been fond of Queen Anne's lace and was admiring them as they grew along the roads with the chicory.  Lately there has been a lot of concern about the terrible dangers of giant hogweed in the news.  Now I see the main difference between the plants.  Hogweed is much larger in size with a flower head that is more rounded than Queen Anne's lace.  Hogweed should not be handled as it can cause severe burns to skin and even cause blindness if the plant acid gets into one's eyes.  Queen Anne's lace has a flatter lacey flower head and is alright to cut or pick for bouquets.  People with photosensitivity should handle the plant with caution. Otherwise one can have a bit of summer fun by placing cut stems into water colored with food coloring to create various colors of blooms.  The lacey flowers can also be dried flat to create ornaments by placing a string or ribbon through them for hanging.
    It is middle summer with all the yellow and orange flowering plants in full bloom.  Even now some of the orange blossoms are ending their time to show off.  The seasons are changing.  It is muggy and hot here in Ohio.  I can hardly manage to putter in Le Petit Jardin.  It is all I can do to water everthing.  In spite of that, I have managed to harvest some lavender, thyme, lemon verbena, lots of basil, and pineapple sage.  It is time to bump up my rosemary plants to the next largest containers.  Finally my holy basils are large enough to replant into larger containers.  I was delighted to give a friend's son one of my water-rooted basils and a chocolate mint plant.  He is endeavoring to learn about gardening and was happy to receive some herbs toward that effort.  Having plenty of peppermint, I made a small wreath for myself.  I love having those fragrant little wreaths all around my apartment.  It is time for creating herbal vinegars from the bounties of Le Petit Jardin.  With this year's bumper crop of sweet annie fall should be a fun time of fragrant wreath making.  Even though I am not thrilled with hot weather I am still enjoying finally harvesting my herbs for cooking and crafting.  Already I am thinking about what I will create for Christmas gifts.
Chicory
    And so, if I can't be reached by anyone it is because I am puttering in Le Petit Jardin.  After all, 'tis the season ...
Bachelor Buttons

Comments

  1. ahhhh you sound quite good in this post and this summer, yes although hot, has seen me outside more than the last three and I can't remember a summer I've enjoyed more. Ha, go for the blue chicory and leave the hog weed to the ditch LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies