Hopefully Spring...

...Puddles of liquid sky blue filled thestreet's potholes.  High winds dried up those same potholes as the next winter storm was racing our way. It didn't take long for the skies to turn gray with an occasional squirt of sunlight momentarily breaking through the clouds.  The last of February was showing us that March was going to prove to be an especially blustery month for us here in Ohio.  As we neared the end of February the Magic City was having a bit of trouble battening down the hatches, so to speak, as all sorts of item and trash blew across the city.  I watched the neighborhood trash bins travel down the streets until the found a house or fence that gave them a stopping place while the wind continued to gust at 50 miles per houe.  It's amazing how noisy wind can be.
     In spite of the high winds I still managed to contemplate spring gardens and pots of little green herbs. All the outside cats in the neighborhood managed to hunker down somewhere for the day. Even the Squirrelzinis were not to be seen in the blustery wind.  If they weren't out and about, then I didn't need to be braving the gale either. As much as I am eager to start some seedlings, I will resist until a better day.  In the meantime, my herb books will help me to plan this year's adventures for Le Petit Jardin.
     The Herb of the Year is anise hyssop.  With any luck I hope to see it coming up again in Le Petit Jardin.  After searching in some of my herb books, I was able to find a few nuggets of information about anise hyssop.  From one of my Adelma Grenier Simmons books, "Tea and Tranquility", I learned about making tea by using the leaves of anise hyssop. This hardy herb is neither anise nor hyssop.  It is part of the mint family.  It has a mild anise flavor which makes it delightful for tea. The plant itself readily self sows leaving you blessed from year to year with its presence.  All pollinators appreciate its purple blossoms.  Hummingbirds are attracted to it as well.  Native Americans used anise hyssop to treat lung disorders.  Anise hyssop makes wonderful wreaths.  It may be used as a substitute for anise in cooking.
     Here is Adelma's recipe for anise hyssop tea.
              1 cup of anise hyssop leaves dried
              1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
              1 cup of dried fennel leaves
     Use slices of fennel bulbs as stirrers.     Put 1 1/2 dried anise hyssop leaves or 1 cup of fresh leaves in a teapot. After pouring boiling water over leaves, allow it to steep for 15 minutes.  This tea is perfect for serving with anise mints and any cookie with anise.  If you like your tea sweet, I recommend using honey to sweeten.
Anise Hyssop



    And so, this should be a flavorful year as well as a colorful one with the purple blossoms of anise hyssop in the garden.  I might just try to attract some hummingbirds this year.  In the meantime, I will have to be content to browse through my gardening books and plan for the warmer days of spring to come.  Ideas for Le Petit Jardin are brewing along with my current tea.  Now there's an excuse for another cookie if ever I heard one...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies