April Showers

   ...April showers bring May Flowers, as the saying goes.  And so, it is raining buckets here in Ohio.  Not complaining, mind you.  It could be snow, after all.  Lots of thunder today along with that rain.  It is in the 60's finally.  The grass is distinctly greener than it was 2 days ago.  I'm keeping a keen eye on the daffodils to see when they will open.  Their swollen buds are just aching to burst open any time now.  The first squirt of sunshine will do it, I'm sure.  We wrestled out the last of March and its cold weather and snow, and now we are looking forward to warmer days. 
     People at my workplace are asking if I will be bringing in plants again for a plant exchange like we did last year.  I've assured everyone there will be plants.  And so now I am busily pinching off basil, catnip, and sage to water-root.  I should be able to transfer them to pots in time for the exchange.  It has been so cold that I just couldn't get started with my seed pots.  Those need to get started up as well.  My procrastination on that task reminds me of a garden lady I knew years ago who always had herb plants late into fall because she started her stock so late in the spring. Usually I could count on her for fresh plants to replace the ones I had lost due to hot summers and end of season spent growth.  I suspect she was like me, known by my Native American name, "She Who Procrastinates".  But on the upside of that, we both have herbs when everyone else goes begging.  I'll be putting together little packets for everyone at work as I did last year.  Everyone got a small packet with a few sunflower seeds and the instructions on how to plant them.  And I provided information on the Herb of the Year for everyone to have.  This year's Herb of the Year is horseradish.  Yuck!  Not my favorite, but I will faithfully research all about it and gather some recipes for the newsletter. 
    So, spring is springing, as they say.  Time to get out the Wellies (garden boots, to the uninitiated garden wannabees) and start slopping around in the garden beds.  And a good time was had by one and all...!

Comments

  1. I'm trying seed bombs this year! Rolling cosmos seeds in balls of clay, letting them dry and as soon as the weather is warmer i'm lobing those into the garden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

Sacred Space and the Wooly Bear Caterpiller...