The Battle Of Le Petit Jardin...

Herb Vinegar
     ...For nearly two weeks I have been hearing locusts humming as we have entered the really hot days of summer here in Ohio.  Usually we don't hear those guys until August.  Once it quit raining so much that we were flooding, the rain turned off enough so that we could actually use a bit of rain here and there.  Though I planted my sunflowers late, they were coming along fine until a local groundhog ate the tops off of them.  It was his intention to move into that area of Le Petit Jardin, but I think I have effectively blocked him.  Placing everything I had available, I covered the area surrounding the sunflower stocks.  Some alternate green buds are forming, so just maybe they will manage some flower heads yet.  If spider webs are any indication of an early winter, it is probably too late to start any more sunflower seeds.  I only have one lonely stock of Sweet Annie.  The groundhog dug up the area killing off the other stocks I had growing.  So far I have protected that single stock.  That's okay, though.  Last year I had way too much to use. One Sweet Annie will be enough for this year. If it isn't the Mad Whacker zapping my lavenders, it's crazy groundhogs eating my sunflowers.  Who would have thought Le Petit Jardin would be such a war zone?!!!
      Already I am thinking about holiday gifts to make from my herbal stash.  Now would be a good time to create orange pomanders so that they will be cured in time for the holidays.  Herbal dream pillows are in the offing. My blend of herbs for a good night's sleep are always appreciated, because who doesn't need a good night of rest? Several years ago I was encouraged to learn that a work acquaintance of mine used the dream pillow I had made for her to calm her cranky grandbaby.  The baby slept through the night whenever he had the pillow near him.  
      I have been harvesting and drying my herbs for my teas and crafts.  Who knows, I may even try my hand at herb jellies, again.  It has been a long time since I have made my Mr. Moon soft pillows filled with lavender. Twinkle Littlestar is another pillow in that collection.  Gathering those supplies just bumped up in priority on my to-do list. Such a busy time of year!
      Green and flourishing, my sweet basil is screaming to be harvested.  One thing I have never tried to make is basil perfume.  This may be the year for that little project.  I love the spicy fragrance of freshly cut basil.  And I will be sure to share the results of the basil encounter as a fragrance.  After my first exasperating experience making basil jelly, I am fearless at trying this next craft idea.
      Lately there has been an abundance of squirrels in my neighborhood.  As I write this blog entry a Squirrelzini is precariously walking the power line tightrope passed my window.  Fall is coming and he knows it.  Today feels like early fall with its sporadic rain showers and cooler temperatures.  Already I want a bit of cider.  Perhaps some spice tea will suffice for the moment...that and a cookie...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

New Year Tea and Cookies

POM POMS IN SPRING