Tea-san...with cookie...

...Gray and dreary, the day became a lot colder here in Ohio. Every time the wind dares to blow a bit, the trees rustle sending a torrent of suddenly colorful leaves raining down everywhere.  These are the days that make me think about seasonal goodies.  I know that I often mention having a cookie with my tea.  Actually, this is more of a wish than an action for me.  If I gave in to the cookie dream, I would be the size of a small barn by now.  And tea for me is still unsweetened.  I like tea, and I want to actually taste the particular tea I am drinking at the time.  Maybe that is a Japanese mindset, but it works for me.  And yes, I am a bit of a tea snob.  Whenever I visit friends I take my own tea.  Of course I share my tea with them if they are so inclined, but I drink what I like and refuse to suffer nasty tasting "rot-gut" tea.  There, I said it...tea snob I am.  As for the rare cookie accompaniment, I am a snob there, too.  At this time of year I fondly remember the delightful pumpkin cookies a friend used to make for me as a birthday gift.  On my birthday my friend faithfully gave me a glass pumpkin full of her wonderful sweet treats.  Of course I always shared the cookies so as to avoid eating the whole batch all by myself.  One of my other friends, a recipient of the shared cookies, is deeply saddened now that my cookie friend no longer bakes pumpkin cookies for me as a birthday gift.  Ah, but I do have her recipe, and I shall share it with you.  It is just too good to keep to myself... 
                                                                                                                                                                                             PUMPKIN COOKIES.                                               
                                                   2 c. flour.                    1 c. shortening                                  
                                                    1 tsp. baking soda.    1 egg.                                                
                                                    1/2 tsp. salt.                1 c. pumpkin                                    
                                                    1 tsp. cinnamon.       1 tsp. vanilla.                                     
                                                    1 tsp. baking powder.                                                         
                                                     1 c. sugar.                   1/2 c. nuts.   (optional)                    
                                                                                                                                                 
            Cream sugar and shortening, then add egg and pumpkin.  Mix in rest of ingredients.  Bake on         an ungreased cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 350  degrees.                                                                                  *Yield will vary according to size of cookie you measure out.                         
                                                                                                                                                                
         My friend created two different toppings from which I could choose to finish off the cookies.  I will give you both and let you decide which you like best.                                                         
                                                              
               BROWN SUGAR TOPPING                                                                                            3 tbsp. Butter.                      
                                 1/2 c. Brown sugar.             
                                 4 tbsp. Milk.                        
Boil the ingredients 2 minutes, constantly stirring.   Cool and add 3/4 tsp. vanilla.  Add enough confectioners sugar until topping is of spreading consistency.  Might need to add a little milk to achieve spreading consistency.                                                                                                                                                                                                          
                 CREAM CHEESE TOPPING.                                        
      For those who prefer the cream cheese frosting, there is a ready-made frosting available that is quite tasty.   For those who prefer the homemade version, here is that recipe.                                                    1 box of powdered sugar.                         
                    1 c. butter.                                                    
                    1 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz.)                       
       When cookies are cooled, cream butter and cream cheese together and add powdered sugar.  Beat well.  Once frosting is of spreading consistency cookies may be frosted.                                                                                                                                                               
             
                                  


.        
Zen Wind

Two Leaves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winds of spring...

Clancey's Gift...

New Year Tea and Cookies