...Still soggy in the garden but it doesn't seem to bother the herbs by much. It is warm today, the day before Easter Sunday. I know it won't be as warm tomorrow, but it sure is nice to feel mid-60's and even 70 degrees before day's end. With the warmer evening temps in the 50's I'm tempted to put my potted indoor plants outside. But I know I'll have to drag them back inside again as the temperatures do their spring rollercoaster ride. What to do, what to do....! Well, maybe I'll put the geraniums out for a while, anyway. And maybe I'll put the rosemaries out. They would love the rain water. Sorry lemon verbenas, not your turn yet. And the potted basils will have to stay in for a while longer. The tarragon would like it outside. That rain water will really make it take off. Okay, okay, so I'm putting some of the studio plants outside. I'll put up with dragging them back in if it turns colder than 50 degrees. Ah, spring! Ya gotta love it!
The Duty
...We always called it "the duty". Every Memorial Day my grandmother and mother took me along with them as they did the spring clean-up of the various family cemetery spots. They called it "dressing the graves". I was the next generation being taught to respectfully care for the family grave markers. Grandma always brought flowers from her garden and packed a basket with clippers, a scrub brush, copper cleaner and a jug of water. I learned by quietly watching what would one day be expected of me Over the years I went faithfully to the cemetery to perform the duty. Though I offered to take my cousins with me, they all declined the invitation. They never knew where any of the family were buried. That willful ignorance never made any sense to me. The duty was never a sad task. I always looked forward to the visit to the cemetery. It had been such a harsh winter i...
Comments
Post a Comment